Week 22 (Reading Week)
This week I have visited London three times for several reasons. On my commute, I photographed anything that interested me. I really like the unnoticed areas of trains and stations. All of these areas have functions; but never really attract attention. I took images of the prints on the seats, the air vents, doors and the people that I saw. I also did some observational drawings of people who were distracted by their phones and books. Some were just distracted by other people. I thought it was interesting how nobody noticed that I was drawing them. Everybody on their commute tries so hard so avoid human contact! I was looking at what these people were wearing and thinking about garment shapes for my work. A lot of people were wearing puffer jackets and almost everybody had a huge coat on. I like this over sized idea and will explore this in my sketchbook. I can play around with the quilting and discover the history of quilted clothing to influence my work.
One train that I went on had a lilac and hot pink interior, with blue printed seats. I loved this colour scheme of electric blue and hot pink. I can try this out with prints in my book and include hints of other colours. I got some really useful images on this train because it had so many intricate areas that made me think of print compositions. On my commute around London, I also took images on the underground of walls and signs that had a cool composition. All of these could create prints and I'm excited to start creating samples from them.
First thing Sophie went around the tables and gave advice on our progress so far. At this point, I had my images of my commute; but I needed to go to the library and look through magazines and books for interesting imagery. After I'd spoken to Sophie, I went to the library for the rest of the day. I started off by looking through a range of magazines and documented images that I thought I could use, whether or not they were relevant. The images from the magazines gave me an idea on what I then wanted from books. I searched through transport and travel books. I thought this would be very useful; but most of the books had very little imagery in them. However, some on the monotone images of old fashioned transport helped, as I could collage with these. I gathered images of the underground, people who commute and a little bit about quilting.
After spending the day in the library, I felt ready to start work in my sketchbook to produce ideas for shape and print. I had a lot of research to help me get going, but I will need to return to the library and continue taking my own photos throughout the project as my work develops.
After focusing on the puffer jackets and distraction yesterday, today I wanted to interpret the distraction idea in a new way. I thought about print placement and how a print can be focused in one or two areas on the body, to distract the eye. I created some print ideas in my book and then printed these out on to transfer paper. I then ironed these onto fabrics so that there was a cluster of print in one area. Thinking about the puffer jacket idea, I used wadding to quilt the printed fabric. This was a really large sample; but it will be useful because I can manipulate it on the body. This sample was made from a pastel pink fabric which I thought related to the interior of one of the trains. I really like this colour scheme but I think it needs a hint of a brighter colour to lift it. So far this week, I haven't diverted from my original action plan, because I think I made it very specific to what I wanted to do. So far, I've followed the schedule and am happy with how this project is going. After documenting today's work in my book, I finished off the large sample so that it's ready to manipulate tomorrow.
Unfortunately I was ill today and couldn't go in to college. However, I had a substantial amount of research to begin my book work at home. I began my book work on the pathway of distraction. I documented the images of the people who are busy doing something and put them next to my drawings and fabric samples. I looked at the people who wore huge jackets and I focused on the puffer jackets in my book. I found it useful to work with one pathway at a time rather than looking at everything on my commute at once.
Today, I began by photographing my sample on Katie. I tried this out as an over sized sleeve, which I really liked. It worked because the print was in one area at the side. I will work more with these larger puffer sleeves in different colours. After trying this as a sleeve, I made my sample into a leg. This was also interesting because I hadn't seen anything like this before. However, I preferred the sample as a sleeve. This sample also worked as a skirt. At first, I tried it as a simple shape. As I was moving it to fit Katie, she lifted it and it folded over itself. This was a happy accident because it actually looked better when folded. I took images of it like this and folded it again to make it more structural and shorter. I didn't like the short length but the shape was interesting. These folds also made pockets. The manipulation of this sample was very helpful this morning because it's made me consider new shapes that I didn't originally think of. It's also identified what shapes work better than others. I like this idea of print placement and focusing it in an area, I think this worked successfully. For the rest of the day, I documented these images in my book along with illustrations and research. As I documented the work I was thinking of new ideas for prints and this really helped to continue my work.