Original Jacket: Above is an image of the original jacket which was used to be reconstructed in this project. I bought it from a charity shop in my local town center of Stevenage and it cost me £3. I took elements of this jacket as inspiration for development, for example, I wanted to experiment with shaping the shoulder pads in a new way.; perhaps by creating a collar with them or structuring a different part of the garment. Also, I am intrigued by the print because it can be used to accentuate curves and different areas of the silhouette. I like the colours and have found a contrasting print to work with also.
Becoming Familiar with the Jacket
Becoming Familiar with the Jacket: This task involved looking closely at each element of the jacket before unpicking it. This research into the jacket improved my ideas because it gave me an insight into stitches and shapes which you may not see before looking in depth. Included in this task, I cut out the jacket in paper to give the literal shapes which I could see. This avoided getting carried away in an illustration and exaggerating elements, it just showed the obvious silhouette. This research was all conducted with the jacket lying on the floor flat.
Extra Fabric: Above is the extra 1m fabric which I have used to work with. It is from Jersey Vogue Fabrics in Edgware. This has given inspiration for experimentation because I wanted to work in ways which create pattern with the print. Therefore, this print has lead me to making samples that have this print veering off into different directions, with black and white blocks layering on top. Overall, the prints of the fabric have influenced experimental work as well as the final garment.
Working in Pairs
Working in Pairs: To gain inspiration for design ideas and working with an additional fabric, working in pairs, we combined our two jackets to create a new garment. This information was useful because at this point, we were not permitted to cut any fabric. So, this task helped me to begin thinking about how I would incorporate a new material and where it could sit with the jacket successfully.
Working on the Body: To begin this project, we worked with our jacket by manipulating it on the body. First, my partner simply wore it backwards. I did this because I liked the clean lines and the high collar. Next, I began to change the shapes and structure more. This was a useful task because it gave me ideas for designing straight away.
Working on Flat Surfaces
Working on Flat Surfaces: Researching the shapes of the jacket further meant that I set the garment out on a flat surface and observe the shapes created. Above, is an observation of the jacket which was quite freely laid down, because I wanted the shapes to be bold rather than simple. This aided me when designing and thinking of new shapes.
Experimentation:The final part of researching before creating my design was exploring the fabrics I was using by creating samples. These influenced my final design, because there were techniques which I found successful and therefore wanted to include them. My thoughts for these samples originated from the shapes in the prints of both the jacket material and the additional one metre fabric, as well as the work we did on both the body and flat surfaces.